Followers

Sunday, August 29, 2010

An Empty Plate

Let’s continue on our journey through edible-land. The next stop is a shop called An Empty Plate http://www.anemptyplate.etsy.com by Jackie. She lives in the Savannah area of Georgia. She is married with two grown daughters, and now the addition of an ever growing son-in-law. He is going to get her for that comment. LOL. Her loves are her family, reading, watching humming birds at her feeders, playing in her garden, cooking and of course she loves to bake. So from her kitchen to your tummy, she says hello!

How did you come with the name for your shop?
My Etsy shop is An Empty Plate (anemptyplate). My daughters and I came up with that name because we believe if you try the treats, that is all you leave is an empty plate.

What is your product line? 
I sell homemade-from-scratch baked goods using family recipes and more. My product line consists of cupcakes, cheese cakes which are my favorite s; also bread & cookies. I am also adding something savory to my site soon.

How did you decide what items to put in your shop?
I go by the people test. If I don’t love it and if others don’t love it then it does not go in my shop. To tell you the truth I am the hardest person on myself it just has to be perfect.

What challenges did you encounter when you opened your shop?
Well, for baked goods the shipping is a challenge. You need to have the right boxes, the right cooling agents.

What advice would you give to someone trying to get started?
Don’t be sad, or put off by Etsy because your shop takes a while to catch on. Etsy is a great place with a LOT of sellers. People will find you, it just takes time.

What would you say makes you passionate about what you do?
Ohhh, good one – I would say that it is the expressions on people’s faces when they eat my food. I love to make people happy. Love to see them when they start to close there eyes and they have that half open look where there eyes are rolled back or when they let out that little sigh.

Do you feel the social networking is helpful in making your business a success?
If course, it’s free advertisement and every business needs to get their name out there.

What are some of the local venues you have had success with, in with your edibles?
I do a lot of graduations and weddings. The weddings are the most fun! Everybody is always so happy.

Where does your inspiration come from?
My mother was a great baker. Plus I don’t like to feed my family the little sweet things from the store. I want to know what they are eating and ohhh, how they love to eat it!

How long have you been baking, who taught you and what was the first thing you baked?
That takes me back to the question above. My mother baked, that is where it started. Then I met someone who later became my sister-in-law and she loved to cook. She was my best friend and our lives and loves just intertwined.

If you had to pick out a favorite from your shop, what would it be and why?
Easy, the cheesecake! That will not last more then two days in my house. It is sooo creamy. My daughter that lived in NY would come home for cheesecake. She says I make the best in the world. I love to hear her say that :).

What is An Empty Plate’s bestseller?
I can’t say that An Empty Plate has a bestseller just yet. However, I predict it will be the red velvet cupcakes. I have some orders for them for a wedding coming up soon. They go very well.

Do you have special names for your edibles and how did you come up with them?
One of my daughters names all of my food. She loves to name them and I’m more of a baker then a writer so I gladly give her that hat to wear.

What are some of the unique items you sell?
The newest item in my shop is very unique. It is pop corn balls. It is hard to find those anymore. But when I was a kid, grandmothers would make them and you’d find them at fairs. So most kids don’t know how good they are because they’ve never had a chance to try them.

What does it take to get your edibles delivered freshly?
Well it takes lots of expensive boxes and cooling packets to keep it fresh. I hand pack everything myself to ensure freshness and that it arrives to my customer perfectly! Also I always ship USPS priority two day shipping.

What has been the overall reception of your shop?
Well, I’m hopeful sales will pick up. So I’d say things on Etsy are a little slow. Perhaps sales will increase once readers read this interview. However, all the feedback has been great and the hearts are coming in that I’m also glad to see.

What do you have special for the holidays?
I have a killer rum fruitcake! It is still up the air as to if I will add it. So if you all think I should, then drop me a line :).

What would you like our readers, potential customers, to know about you and your store?
It’s all very yummy and made to order just for you. I treat each order with care. It comes down to wanting your order with me to be perfect.

Is there anything I haven’t covered in this interview that you would like to add?
Now let me see. I’d like to invite all of your readers to view my shop. If they mention your blog or this interview they will get 5% off of their order. Plus I’ll also add: I’ve NEVER had anyone leave half a cupcake, or a bit of cheesecake on there plate. It always comes back to me as anemptyplate :).

Where can the readers find you?
Sooo look me up at http://www.etsy.com/shop/anemptyplate

3 comments:

  1. mmm, those cupcakes look killer. Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love to hear what fellow bakers have to say, it is educating and it makes me feel companioned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! This was a great interview! love the shop name :)

    ReplyDelete